We are hiring! We are looking for a Sustainable Fish Leather Tanner Specialist
Share this post
To expand its roster of experts and specialists, TLG is searching for professionals with practical knowledge on the tanning and dyeing of fish leather using natural processes and products.
CENTRE/DEPARTMENT: Materials Science Centre
LOCATION(S): Europe, Canada & Latin America
CONTRACT TYPE: Part-time, fixed term with possibility for renewal.
The selected applicant must have extensive first-hand experience on wet tanning and finishing sustainable methods, including vegetable tanning and chrome- and metal-free processes and techniques; treating fish leather from different species; and procuring the raw material. S/he will work on the following tasks:
- Improving, testing and implementing in collaboration with other research and commercial partners a sulphide-free process for scale removal, ammonium-free deliming and chrome- and metal-free tanning process.
- Develop and testing in collaboration with other research partners sustainable coating and finishing process and products.
- Support the research and development of biodegradable fish leather that meets the physical and technical properties required by the leather industry, mainly the fashion and car manufacturing sectors.
- Ensure a high-quality end-product according to the highest industry standards and specific properties defined by TLG.
- Actively support lab testing in collaboration with our partners, including the writing up of results and project reports whenever necessary.
- Train other members of the team on sustainable tanning, coating and finishing process.
- Regularly report on progress to TLG management team.
- Act as a consultant on the move from a traditional beamhouse operation to a more sustainable process tanning and dyeing using only sustainable products.
- Promote and implement sustainable measurements.
- Ensure TLG sustainability requirements are met throughout the process and by all members of the team.
- Monitoring the environmental impact of each phase of the process.
- Advice and implement in collaboration with the manager the streamlining of product flow.
- Advice and implement in collaboration with the manager operational efficiencies using environmentally friendly procedures and products.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- At least 10 years of practical experience in fish leather processes.
- Experience in sustainable and environmentally friendly tanning, coating and finishing leather process.
- Experience within an applied research environment.
- Experience in data collection and analysis.
- Experience in teaching fish leather process to people with different levels of knowledge of tanning processes.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Good report writing and communication skills.
- Ability to analyse data sets.
- Ability to work with partners from different backgrounds, levels and industries.
- Ability to prioritise work and manage deadlines effectively.
- Ability to apply new concepts.
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
- Ability to organise own work with minimal supervision.
- Awareness health, safety and environmental issues.
- Fluency in Portuguese and Spanish with good working knowledge of English is considered mandatory. Additional languages are considered an asset.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and continuous change in a high paced environment.
- Be committed to sustainability and willing to explore ways to continuously improve sustainability in all the work undertaken.
- Willingness to adhere to the Group purpose, Compass, mission and values at all times.
- Willingness to continuously learn and challenge yourself.
- Being open-minded and cooperative.
- Regard for confidentiality and security of data at all times.
- Willingness to undertake any necessary training for the role.
- Willingness to travel abroad to conduct research and attend engagements on behalf of Turtle Labs.
Experts in following fields are encouraged to apply:
- Sustainable tannery leather experts, technologists and technicians.
- Experts from the leather manufacturing industry and training institutions.
- Environmental experts for the leather industry.
- Researchers of fish leather and/or sustainable tanning, coating and finishing methods.
- Other experts in the leather value chain including experts in machinery, equipment and maintenance.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and you may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.